2009 CLACTON BUS RALLY
This was the inaugural Clacton Bus Rally at Clacton Factory Outlet on Sunday 7th June 2009. This new event on the rally calendar attracted interest from enthusiasts and the public. Entry forms were received from 35 vehicles prior to the event, with more expected to turn up on the day in spite of a poor weather forecast. Hedingham Service 137 served Clacton Station and Clacton Factory Outlet. There was also a regular heritage bus service operating a circular route including Clacton Pier and Clacton Station. The event was also supported by 4 feeder services:
Feeder Service 1 (CPTM) came in from Castlepoint Transport Museum, Canvey (07.40) Via Maldon
Feeder Service 2 (Ensignbus) came in from Brentwood High Street (08.45) via Chelmsford Victoria Rd (09.05) and Witham Newlands Road (09.30)
Feeder Service 3 (Chris Stewart) came in from Chelmsford via Braintree Bus Park (09.15) and Marks Tey (09.35)
Feeder Service 4 (convoy) came in from Ipswich Buttermarket (09.20) via Manningtree and Thorpe-le-soken
And other enthusiast/preservation groups organised their own group outings to the rally.
Despite inclement weather, the event attracted around 40 buses and plenty of visitors.
236LNO - Bristol LDL / ECW (CPTM)
This vehicle from 1959 is currently at the Castlepoint Transport Museum on Canvey Island. It was a flat-floor 70-seat LDL prototype, given number 1541 (later 2510)
3014AH (Eastern Counties / Patrick Burnside)
Fleet no LM452.
373WPU - Guy Arab V / Masset (Moores / CPTM)
This 1961 Massey-bodied Guy Arab wears Moores livery; this being one of the companies later absorbed into Eastern National.
819XUP - Bristol RE Coach (Eastern National)
Previously VHK177L. Fleet no 1404 and
859ETW - Bristol / (Eastern National)
Fleet no 1237.
AJN825 - Bristol K / ECW (Westcliff-on-Sea Motor Services / AJN Group)
New to Westcliff-on-Sea Motor Services in 1939. It transferred to Eastern National when the two companies merged as part of the Tilling Group in the mid 1950s. Retained by Eastern National, and then Firstgroup, as a heritage vehicle for many years, being restored to Westcliff condition. In the early 1990s, it was fire-damaged while being stored at Walton depot. Following repairs, it was sold by Firstgroup to a group of employees who fully restored this popular vehicle.
APW829B Bristol (Eastern Counties)
Coach LS 829.
BYW365V - Leyland National (Regal Busways)
Regal Busways 101.
Youngs of Rampton ran buses and coaches for many years before selling out to Premier travel in the 1980s. This was the last vehicle bought new by Youngs. Currently in preservation, it is due to rejoin Youngs when they restart operations after a gap of over 20 years.
CPU979G Bristol VRT / ECW (Eastern National / CPTM)
Fleet no 3000. 1968 Bristol VRT currently at Castlepoint Transport Museum on Canvey Island.
D101NDW Leyland Lynx (CEPB)
New to Merthyr Tydfil and operated for Grey Green, Maidstone & District, Arriva, White Rose and Nu-Venture. It was later acquired from LondonLinks by Stuart Boxall, Karl Griffin and Matt Wentworth-Bowyer. In red livery, it was rallied as the first preserved Leyland Lynx. It was later sold to Ensignbus dealers and went into preservation with S Fieldman.
DAR120T Leyland National (Eastern National / John Wilson)
1978 Leyland National, fleet no 1898.
DBU889 - Bedford OB / Duple (Felix of Long Melford)
New to Shearing of Oldham in June 1947, this Duple-bodied OB spent part of its life on a fruit farm. It was purchased by the current owner from a Bedford enthusiast approximately 23 years ago and underwent a 2-year full restoration before regaining PSV status.
FWC439H - Bristol RELL / ECW (Eastern National / D Edwards)
This flat-front RE was new to Eastern National in 1969 and worked from Chelmsford, Kelvedon and Silver End depots. In 1983 it was sold to Ensignbus dealers and then to Kent County Council who converted it into a caravan. It was sold to a private owner in Peterborough during the early 1990s, before being purchased for preservation in 1996 and converted back into to a bus. The present owner acquired the vehicle in 2001.
GR9007 - Crossley DD42 (Sunderland Corporation)
A rally favourite, this was one of a batch of 6 delivered to Sunderland Corporation Transport in April 1947. It was converted to a mobile polling station and used as such from 1962 to 1972. It was rescued from a dealers in 1985. Restoration did not start until acquisition by its current owner in 1999. Restoration took 7 years as the body had to be completely rebuilt
H264GEV - Leyland Olympian (Arriva Southend)
Fleet no 5404.
JHJ150V - Leyland National (Eastern National / A Barham & Sons)
New to Eastern National in 1979, this vehicle spent its working life based at various North Essex depots. It was the last Leyland National to work with First Essex Buses as a driver trainer before passing into preservation. It was restored and returned to the road in 2009 as the pet vehicle of Adam Barham. It attends the 2009 in a rather colourful form while awaiting repaint into Eastern National livery.
JJD463D - AEC Routemaster /Park Royal (London Transport)
New to London Transport in 1966 the vehicle operated throughout its life in London. It ended its working life with London United before entering preservation.
JJD539D RML 2539
DAR120T Leyland National (Eastern National / John Wilson)
Fleet no 1898.
KVF658E - Bristol RE / ECW (Eastern Counties / Eastern Transport Collection)
New to Eastern Counties in 1968 as RS658. It was withdrawn in 1981 and passed to current owners, the Eastern Transport Collection.
LEV917 - Leyland PD1 (Eastern National)
Fleet no 2102. Now carrying passengers for the first time in many years.
LYR997 - AEC RT3 / Weymann
1949 Weymann-bodied RT, currently at Castlepoint Transport Museum.
M941TEV - First Essex
MRJ8W Hedingham Omnibuses
NTW942C Bristol FLF / ECW (Eastern National)
1965 front-entrance version of the popular Bristol Lodekka. These were widely used by Eastern National until the mid-1970s.
OCK985K - Bristol VR / ECW (Eastern Counties)
ONO49 - Bristol L5G /ECW (CPTM)
Dating from 1950 and now at the Castlepoint Transport Museum.
PMY39W (Hedingham Omnibuses)
RGV284N - Leyland Leopard I Willowbrook (Hedingham Omnibuses)
Once a main part of the Hedingham fleet this Leyland Leopard with Willowbrook bodywork now operates as part of the heritage fleet and can often be seen at local bus rallies.
SGR780V Bristol VR / ECW (Hedingham Omnibuses)
Fleet no L245.
STW30W (Hedingham Omnibuses)
TOI2316 - (Ulsterbus)
UVX7S Bristol LH / ECW (Eastern National / F Lawrance)
New to Eastern National in 1977 as fleet number 1103. It was sold to Hedingham Omnibus in 1982 and spent 17 years in service with Hedingham before being withdrawn and entering preservation. The present owner acquired her in 2006 and had her repainted into the current Tilling dual-purpose style livery during 2007.
VN0859 - Bristol KSW / ECW (Eastern National / 1407 Preservation Group)
New to Eastern National in 1953 at around the same time as the Hicks Brothers take over by the company, this vehicle was fitted with staggered top deck seating for London routes from the Halstead/Braintree areas. It was also fitted from new with Rear platform doors. It is now preserved by the 1407 Presentation Group and is a regular rally attendee at rallies the East Anglia Region.
WNO479 - Bristol KSW ECW (Eastern National / First)
The only KSW to have remained with Eastern National and its successors. This open top bus became part of the First East England heritage fleet based in Clacton and is used for occasional wedding hire and similar private hire work.
WNO478 - Bristol KSW (Eastern National / CPTM)
New in 1953, one of several Bristol KSWs operated by Eastern National.
YJN455S - Daf/ Plaxton Staines Crusader (Talisman)
New to Staines Crusader in 1978 this Daf coach is now part of Talisman Coachlines heritage fleet.